Because of the classes and conversations I keep having, I wanted to put out this list as a starting place or springboard in your studies or investigations.
Understanding that you can learn with any deck you have, or (nearly) any imagery you love, these are decks I recommend for their alignment with the Rider-Waite-Smith deck and imagery.
This is relevant because most training books and methods start with this system. You’re welcome, of course, to start with the RWS. This list is for people looking for an alternative.
- Joie De Vivre Tarot (Cassidy)
- Crystal Unicorn Tarot (Chen/Higuchi)
- Everyday Tarot (Esselmont/Grosch)
- Mermaid Tarot (Robertson/Dillon)
- The Luna Sol Tarot (Medaglia)
- Ostara Tarot (Applejohn/Cooke/Gibbard/Iredale)
- The Fountain Tarot (Gruhl/Saiz/Todaro)
- The Steampunk Tarot (Moore/Fell)
- Shadowscapes Tarot (Moore/Pui-Mun Law)
- Everyday Witch Tarot (Blake/Alba)
Be careful not to buy a similarly titled deck by accident. If you want it, that’s fine, but if you’re looking for these decks be sure to watch for the author/illustrator match.
These are books I’ve found interesting and/or useful. Don’t feel like you need to rush out and get all of these – or even that all of them are necessary. The top four are designed as baseline texts – starting places. The rest are… fun and deeper dives or broader applications of tarot. Read more