I love reversals. People who don’t use them insist that all the possible meanings are in a card, upright or not, but that’s a huge load to make a card (or reader) carry.
By including reversals, I only have to see half of that stuff at a time.
Reversals have been read a number of ways:
- Something opposite the core meaning
- The worst version of the card topic
- a smaller or specific aspect of the card
- intensifying the core meaning
- in protection aspect (kind warning)
- delay or resistance to the topic/essence
- fear related to the topic of the card, or placement in the spread.
- Not at all (every reader chooses for themselves, and have all of these element still available to them).
There are more, of course, but these are the ones I’ve run into personally.
How do you know which one it is? Read more